Homeschool Science Project: Making Laundry Detergent

 I love how practical things can be considered a homeschooling project.
Yesterday we made laundry soap from scratch.




.... and it was easier and quicker than baking cookies.

We used a basic recipe that I googled up.
Seriously, I bet there are a ton of cool ways to do it,  but I wanted the most simple.

Also, because I am so sensitive to scents,
this batch we picked the non-scented " baby mild" castile soap.
I bought the lavender bar for next time. { heres to hoping that won't bother me }

I already washed several loads and while my clothes don't have a scent.
They feel really clean. Almost more clean that ever before.
hard to explain in words.
even my washing machine looked bright and polished afterward.

here is the info: { you can find the recipe here as well }

Gather supplies. This easy, inexpensive method for making powdered detergent requires just three ingredients:
  • A bar of castile soap. Choose either unscented or buy a bar with your favorite scent, like lavender or lemon.
  • A box of washing soda. This is also called sodium carbonate or sodium ash, and is available in grocery stores.
  • A box of borax. This is a naturally occurring mineral that comes in powdered form, and is also available in grocery stores.[1]
  • Mix two parts washing soda and two parts borax. Place them in a big bowl that you won't be using for food purposes, and mix them well with a spoon.
Add one part grated soap. If you used 3 cups of washing soda and 3 cups of borax, mix in 1 1/2 cups of grated soap - you get the picture!
Add baking soda or essential oil. This is an optional step that you can choose if you wish to personalize your detergent to meet your family's needs. Baking soda helps freshen clothes that have heavy smells that need to be removed, and essential oils add an extra scent that you might enjoy. A few drops will suffice.[2]

Store the detergent in a sealed plastic container with a measuring cup. If you tend to do extra large loads of laundry, plan on using 1/4 cup per load. For smaller loads, use 1/8 cup.

There is also the liquid version of this, which requires heating and all that jazz. I opted for easy and fail-proof being that this was my first time. McCoy is 8 almost 9 and she did this entire process all by herself, with me monitoring and reading aloud directions. She has always helped me in the kitchen and just recently I have started to allow her to do entire processes like baking cookies all by herself with me watching. Hands on is really the best way to learn. McCoy loves it.

This project could have been a great for younger kids too, measuring and pouring. Italia however was napping and I dare not wake her up, because she needed the nap badly. 

Our next project ?  I don't know. Shampoo, Conditioner...
If you have any favorite recipes please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment