Meet Selena Fara

Slowly.. bringing my rad interviews back...... I couldnt part with this one of my Nena.
 I am especially excited today to interview my very best friend Selena Fara... On a personal note.. she is without a doubt one of the most sincere, authentic and down to earth people you will ever know. On a professional level..  she is a multifaceted talent.. she is constantly reinventing herself without even realizing it I think.. I would be selling her short.. if I gave her one particular title.. she is not just an amazing painter, she is an artist in the way she thinks, acts and dresses.... and she is truly one of a kind. Lets dig in to Selena's world.

1. What is a typical day like for you?
I wake up and either grab a coffee or a veggie drink..haha..I know, BIG difference, I go thru different fazes...then I grab my dog(Cash-5yr old Golden retriever) and hike Runyan Canyon or jog...but usually we hike. Then, I eat a little something, shower and put on my paint clothes and get up in my studio! Creating all kinds of visions I have with colors galore, getting my hands messy is my favorite, while I blast Bob Dylan and other favorite artists-getting into the beat!!  If I have any etsy sales to mail out I do that before I start painting...or any other errands I need to do, like laundry, grocery shopping-I try to get the mondane things out of the way early. Sometimes I have an audition, so that takes precedence on those days and lots of driving is usually invovled, it is LA afterall ;)I am also writing a script at the moment with a writing partner, whom I meet with a few hours a couple times a week. I also am working on a funnyordie series with my friend Lyndsay, we have only filmed one episode and are in the editing process, but with more to come...we work on that some of the days.I keep pretty busy for an artist who has lots of time on her hands. I also just got accepted(yesterday was my interview, actually) to volunteer at Cedars Sinai Hospital...teaching art to the children there! I start in a few weeks...so that will be 1 day a week for 4 hours! I am REALLY excited to inspire these kids who are facing challenges and have some fun creating art and possibly a large mural for the hospital...I have lots of fun ideas! Whew...so as my day winds down, my boyfriend and I always have dinner together and cozy on the couch for a few of our favorite t.v. shows...right now, American Idol is at the top of our list. Then I usually get back in my studio and paint or read before bed. I just finished a book called "Evelyn" by James Van Alden(also a director and new found friend). I am beginning 2 new books, one called "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave and the other is "The Artisit's Way" by Julia Cameron. Starting next month on Monday nights I'll be back in class(acting class) which I have been taking for a few years on and off...it brings me much joy and I can't wait to get back into it! Also, next month, I'll be returning to the Swapmeet on Sundays (outdoor market where I sell my artwork)! I took a little break over the holidays and have been working on commissions but I will be back SOON! So...I guess no day is typical...but everyday involves creating of some kind and lots of happiness and gratitude.


2. How would you describe yourself if you were not you and you were telling someone else about you? 
Kind, funny, down to earth....I think people would say that....

3. What inspires you?
EVERYTHING.....good and bad....I observe life constantly...and I pull from it, SO MANY many things that get my wheels turning....my brain never stops...even when I sleep! My dreams majorly inspire me too. Bat Lady is a painting inspired by a dream I had where bats were caught in my hair!!! Recently, I took a yoga class and the instructor said the word "inspire" means to to breathe air and that everyday we do that! All of us are inspiring without even realizing we are....I liked that.
4. What is one thing right now you would like to learn to do?
Speak Italian. I have family that live in Lake Como, Italy and I'd love to be able to speak to them in their language...luckily my cousins, who will be visiting this summer, speak english too...but I have always wanted to learn to speak the language steming from my heritage...Italiana!
 Also, I want to learn ballet. (on a side note)

5. Top five favorite shops to shop… online or brick or mortar?
Poor Pitiful Pearl FOR SURE! I was there from the seedling to now, I feel like the clothes Shauna makes are a very important part of my life...PPP IS a lifestyle for me :)
I also like thrift store finds, the swapmeet too has great homemade clothes for sale.
I don't shop much at stores...but I do like Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie.

6. Tell us about what you do?
I'm an artist..if you haven't guessed it by now..hee hee...I paint, write, act, take pictures as a hobby...anything creative...I do it. :) I want to take up ceramics next! That always looked fun to me...I took a class in highschool and loved it...so you never know.

7. What is the most rewarding thing about your job?
 Freedom to express my unique take on things on a constant basis....to have a platform to create, share, express, grow...that is being close to god in my eyes. So, I feel exremely blessed to have been given this talent or purpose.

8 . Most challenging?
I am hard on myself to do better constantly....I always feel I fall short of being great....to be epic in any capacity is the challenge...but what a fun challenge to have....wow.

9.  Where do you draw your inspiration?
 Life, people, nature, other art. I think most everything is art...like the way rain falls on leaves and then to the ground...that is art...I am inspired by life. People who are doing what fulfills them...following what's in your heart....that is most inspiring and undeniable. Each of us are special in our own unique ways and to honor that especially in the face of adversity inspires me to have the confidence to do the same. 

10. How are you currently promoting your work?
 Melrose Trading Post(which is the swapmeet I mentioned)
 and my website www.sassafrassart.com
Selena is also a sponsor on our blog this month.

11 Any styles, trends that bug you? or that you could just never get into for some reason?
Whatever speaks to someone does not bug me....though when people fall into conformity and unoriginal thought...that disappoints me...and often times with trends that's exactly what's going on...following the masses. I don't care for that.

12. Tell us about living in La city? how do you like it? 
There's a song I started to sing when I read that question....
"L.A. proved too much for the man,
So he's leavin' the life he's come to know,
He said he's goin' back to find
Ooh, what's left of his world,
The world he left behind
Not so long ago.
He's leaving,
On that midnight train to Georgia......"
... haha...ok......
LA: I love that I am walking distance to several yummy places to eat, runyan canyon, Hollywood Blvd....it's all right here....entertainment, food, outdoor fun. I like the diversity. I like that I can drive 30 mins and be at the beach or Malibu and 2 hours the other direction and be in the desert and a little further, the mountains...California is a beautiful state...LA can be ugly at times but also beautiful...there is something I like about the dichotomy of that. There is a lot of different energies swirling around this town and that always keeps it interesting!
Selena wearing PPP on the red carpet!
Selena and her boyfriend Chad Lindberg
13. What makes you tick?
Love. Truth. Sincerity. Courage. Adventure. 

14. Top 5 favorite blogs?
Oh no....I am no good at this one b/c I lack severly in the blog dept....the ONLY one I read is Shauna's just so I stay in the loop of her ever changing life and she's my BFF...Sorry other bloggers....I am sure there are tons of great blogs out there...

15. Any dreams, Long term goals you would like to share?
YES! I have lots of dreams....and they are all goals..
*Living in Manhattan, NYC and having my artwork in a gallery there!
*Living in Europe and speaking Italian and French(I took 4 years of French in highschool but want to be fluent)
*Write, direct and star in a film that speaks to people on a deep and personal level
*Having children
*Visit every corner of the globe
*Start a foundation for young artists who face challenges to help them express themselves and find joy thru that.
*Write a book
*Start a food blog and change the way people look at diet...bring awareness that disease is caused and preventable thru what we put into our cherished bodies.
*Learn to cook better!
*Dance in a production of prestige(this is a pipe dream...but I have not given up on it yet!)
*Visit and help various third world countries...be a part of positive change for the enviroment and the people
*Run a marathon...a serious one
*Learn how to carry a tune....haha...anyone who knows me, knows this is near impossible.
Ok...there is more...but for now, let's start with that :)

16. Whats the most important thing you have learned so far in life?
Listen to others...I mean, REALLY listen....slow down and take in the moment, every experience and person is a teacher.


No comments:

Post a Comment