Meet Natalie.


1. Tell us a little about you?



Okay, so I am 25 years old.  My husband Kawika and I live in Mammoth Lakes, CA.  A small mountain town in the Eastern Sierras, it's beautiful, but we actually consider Hawaii our home, and hopefully will be moving back within this next year.  I work at a restaurant, I love people, although I am a certified yoga teacher and soon will be teaching yoga more and more!   I am from Redondo Beach, I love to surf and be active!  My husband is Hawaiian and is from Hawaii, his name means David in Hawaiian, and he's my best friend.

2. Use a few random adjectives you think a friend would use to describe you?

Passionate, SPICY!, fun, outgoing, FREE, energetic, funny

3. What is a typical day like for you from morning to night?

What does a typical day mean?  Haha, my life changes constantly, but right now it looks like this sort of.  I work full time at a Hotel/Resort restaurant, and I start work at 5:30 in the morning!  So waking up at 4:45, hitting snooze :), going to the kitchen to make a protein smoothie, getting to work, usually getting off before 11 am, take a nap, practice some yoga, husband gets home, go to the skate park, maybe go to gym, hang out with each other, eat dinner, watch a movie or talk, try to be in bed early to do it all again the next day.  

4. You just recently got certified to be a yoga teacher? what brought you to this decision?
I had practiced yoga years ago when I was younger and loved it, but never really committed.  It wasn't until about the end of our first year of marriage that I felt a desperate need to meet with God in a powerful way daily, otherwise I was literally about to have a nervous breakdown or murder my husband!  Just kidding, but marriage has been work for us!  So I needed a peaceful outlet.  I typed in "free online yoga" on google, found a great practice, no prayers or chanting or anything of the kind, and it just felt safe.  So I asked God to meet me in this practice and give me peace and hope and love.  It worked!  So my journey began.  Pretty much just loved and practiced yoga at first, and never considered teaching.  It wasn't until my wonderful cousin/best friend encouraged me to get a job I could do all over the world (because we travel so much), that I began to think about teaching.  So sure enough, I found a great school that worked so complimentary with me schedule, and I did it.  So now I am a certified yoga teacher and the fact that I get to teach people how to harness something so important like peace in ones life, really excites me!

5. What other things do you like to do?
I love being with friends, I love almost any outdoor or water sport.  I love to snowboard.  I love to listen to good music.  I love to sing and play music, or "jam" with my friends.  I recently discovered how much I love Zumba, which is a latin inspired work out dance class that rocks!

6. Tell us about your traveling with YWAM?

Well, we love YWAM!  Basically what we do for them is come as guest speakers for about a week at each base and teach on a very interesting and unique subject on the Kingdom of God, and what that actually means to people who say they are "little Christs".  It's really fun, we meet a lot of cool people, and end up traveling to a lot of countries because of it.  Last year we were in Europe for 3 months in 7 different countries.  One of my favorite YWAM bases is in Switzerland, it's a snowboard base and the base leaders are so cool!

7. You went to Bethel School of Ministry in Redding? tell us about this experience?

Up there with becoming a Christian and marrying the love of my life, going to Bethel School of Ministry was literally one of the best decisions I ever made.  It changed my entire life, perspective, and mind set.  I really learned that I could think for myself in a place called "church", which unfortunately for me, was a new concept.  I learned HOW to think, not what to think.  And my whole perspective on God and what it means to act like Jesus completely exploded out of the box, and even to say that would be an understatement.  I am still being radically affected by the perspectives I learned at Bethel, and I hope to continue to be radically affected for the rest of my life.  If my God is limited to a book I can read, and dissect, and study, and hold in my hands, I'm already bored!  Get ready world, GOD IS SO MUCH BIGGER THAN WE COULD EVER IMAGINE!  He is able to do exceedingly more than we could ever imagine, according to the POWER of the Holy Spirit.  COME ON!

8. What People/ things inspire you?

My husband really inspires me.  He is the most free person I have personally ever met.  I have almost never seen him allow fear to hold him back from experiencing greater levels of freedom, and I have learned so much from him.  My father has also always inspired me.  These days, my dad really knows how to encourage me to live from my identity, rather than for it.

I also contribute most of my inspiration/motivation to the idea of having a "sound mind".  Or self control.  Thinking positively, knowing that nothing is impossible.  My mindset can take me to realms in which I would never get unless I disciplined myself to think upon positive things.  It sounds cheesy, but thinking positively will change your life.  And if your dreams are possible, dream bigger!

I also love to listen to music.  Music is an art in which your being guided by the artist on levels of creativity that you may have never gone.  It's so cool, I love it!

9. What are you greatest challenges currently ?
My marriage.  My husband and I are two crazy firecrackers.  And not the kind of firecrackers you can get on the side of the road around the 4th of July, but the kind where you have to cross the border and illegally smuggle back into the country.  We both are passionate, loving, hungry for life, zealous, enthusiastic, and fearless.  It creates one of the coolest, yet scary marriages that I never could of dreamed of having.  I love that guy, but it's literally a miracle that we're still together.  If it wasn't for our amazing support group, and mothers and fathers, friends, and family, we would not be going along strong like we are today.  But I can say, one day, we're going to be able to share a lot of what we have learned to others who are struggling.  Marriage rocks!  It will teach what unconditional love really means.

10. Your a surfer, how did that begin? 
It just happened.  I was a kid at the beach who went from swimming in the waves to lying on a piece of sponge that eventually I was standing on, then inevitably my parents buying me a "yard sale special" surfboard because I was hooked.  Eventually my parents had to break the news to me that if I wanted to do this sport, I had to get good enough to be sponsored, because surfboards and wetsuits were a lot of money (wish they were still the price they were then, now!).  So I got sponsored.  Got me some free boards and cheap suits, and my first love began.  Surfing has taken me to where I am today, it really is my first love.


11. Tell us about your husbands art and ventures ?

Kawika is an amazing artist.  He just thinks creatively.  He has at least 3 times the amount of clothes as me, and takes almost twice as long to get ready.  I don't mean to throw him under the bus, but it's actually a compliment.  The man can dress!  And that is just the fashionisto in him.  He can paint, draw, play music, sing, and write.  In fact, he is actually at the moment working on putting together his first website.  His company's name is Children of the Free World,  Or CFW.  He has an amazing crew of photographers, writers, athletes, and people who's lives are art and we consider them CFW's, and we're honored that they are apart of our lives.  The reason I bring these people up is because I believe they make Children of the Free World.  CFW is not a brand, it's movement.  It's a culture of people whose utmost desire is freedom, freedom on all different levels, and what freedom really represents and means.  You can keep posted on CFW by logging onto childrenofthefreeworld.com.  The website is under construction at the moment, but it't gonna be good, trust me.  Kawika also designs great shirts, and art, that you'll be able to purchase on the website as well.  Associate yourself with something worth while, associate yourself with freedom!

12. How did you two meet? How long have you been married?
I moved to Hawaii when I graduated high school to surf, and that first summer, I met Kawika.  It's funny, my mom actually was scared for me to go to Hawaii because she thought I would meet an island man and never come home.  Well, sure enough, the first time she met him, she told me that he was the man I was going to marry.  And so it began.  We met in 2005 on the North Shore of Oahu at a town bible study.  I was not attracted to him at first, in fact, something really bothered me about him, it was weird.  It wasn't until a few years later when I was going up to Bethel to check out the school of ministry, that we met again.  He was graduating his second year there, and I was just checking it out.  We remembered each other, but for some reason, this time, the sparks were flying!  It was perfect timing.  That summer we fell in love, dated briefly, and got married, all in a year.  It was amazing, we just celebrated our 2 year anniversary on June 7.

13. You have a lot of interests, any one that towers above the rest? why are you so passionate about this?

At the moment yoga.  I think I am so passionate about this right now, because for one, I am practicing something that I want to get better at.  And I also, with the help of Holy Spirit, I am able to harness something new and fresh in my life, peace and joy daily.  God is so good, He wants to give you good gifts, in all kinds of packages, and for me in this season, that package is yoga.  And pretty much if I am interested in something even in the slightest, I have to tell the world.  I think this is another reason why I am so excited to teach, I really think people need a way to access way higher levels of peace, love, and focus in their lives and on their minds, and I can offer that in my teaching!
Oh and making good, nutritious food!  You are what you eat, it's true!

14. You brew kombucha, which makes you pretty rad in my book. Would you share the recipe?

Of course!  It's simple actually, all you need is a kombucha culture that has a really cute name, a scoby.  You can find scobies pretty easy these days, google it!  Once you have the culture, you need to brew tea (we like organic green tea), then add a lot of sugar (to the point where it is too sweet to drink), then let the culture get in that tea and do its thing!  What happens is the culture feasts off the sugar, ferments it, and basically poops out billions of strands of acidopholis, probiotics, and tons live and active enzymes, all of which our bodies desperately need!  And if you add fruit juice, it's really yummy and refreshing!  Kombucha is really popular right now, almost trendy lol, and you can find tons of information about it online, and more recipes.  Allow google to seriously work in your favor!

15. I saw that you shaved off all your hair. ? { you rock it btw } any significance to this decision?



Thank you.  Well, I had always wanted to shave my head, I always thought it would be such a cool thing to do, but I never had the guts to do it.  So came a time when I decided to finally go back to my natural hair color, which is dark brown, about a week after my wedding I had it dyed brown.  I would say shortly after that I began to entertain the idea of shaving my head.  I had mentioned it to my husband a few times, and he expressed to me how awesome he thought it would be if I did it, but that he didn't believe that I would really do it.  So about a year and a half after dying my hair it was time to start fresh.  I also felt like God was revealing to me that I had a lot of unhealthy reliance that I had been putting on my long, beautiful hair.  And I was extremely scared to do it, this was another sign that showed me that perhaps I had an unhealthy attachment to something so shallow like my hair.  So I guess it was almost like a baptism, overcoming an old identity and coming into a new beginning, and I hated that I was so scared to do it, so shaving my head became a huge fear to overcome, which is always fun to do.  I love overcoming fear!  Kawika decided to do it with me, so we both shaved our heads practically bald.  And I ended up really liking the way it looked.  I would totally do it again.  I felt an adrenalin rush from doing it for like months after.  It was one of the coolest things I have ever done in my life.


16. Any dreams, Long term goals you would like to share?
Sure!  I have tons.  But one of the more pressing ones that is more often on the forefront of my mind is having a holistic healing retreat center.  I have a dream to teach people yoga, about nutrition, and about natural healing.  I believe that God gave us a self sustaining, wonderful earth that is filled with enough glorious bounty to give us abundant life as long as we're here, and I think we have strayed a bit from that fact with pharmaceuticals and such.  So I want to see the honor and healthy use of our land restored.  I would love to have an organic farm with dairy and produce, and also to tech people how to sustain themselves off the land.  And another exciting and unique thing I want to do is something I read about in a holistic health research paper.  Basically it is something that this group of scientist in the UK have been studying for some time now, they're called "laughing centers".  That is basically all they are, laughing centers!  And I REALLY want to have one of those!  Scripture says The Joy of The Lord is our Strength!  One of my favorite quotes of all time is something said by my husband, "One of these days, joy's gotta look like something".  I really think he sums joy up in that qoute, joy's gotta look like something!  And to me, we can start with an obvious one, laughter!

17. Whats the most important thing you have learned so far in life?

Wow, that's a loaded question.  Umm, I think at least one of the most important things I have learned in my life is what it means to unconditional love.  And that love is not a feeling, it's a choice, and it's not just sticking around, love is an action all the time.  Another huge thing I continue to learn everyday, is how to be unoffendable.  I don't ever want my offense to stop me from growing to new depths that God wants to reveal to me, or from something wise or powerful that I can gain from someone.  I hate offense.  Offense has made Christians look like we can't get along for hundreds of years, and I think it's time to learn how to not be offended.  And to love unconditionally, like God does!

1 comment:

  1. wow you are fab, keep up the amazing journey and do share the marriage stuff. I don't think any marriage is easy but wow it's worth it for the good times. I pray God's blessing and protection on you guys life will be a fight but the journey will be exciting.

    ReplyDelete